The usage of images and videos is crucial when trying to increase engagement across social media and Website Marketing. However, many businesses experience a dilemma when it comes to deciding the most effective use of visual elements.
This article takes a look into the benefits and weaknesses of Image-Based and Video-Based Ads.
The use of images is a brilliant method to draw users’ attention towards your advertisement. Images can capture a reader’s attention with far more impact than simple words on a screen. Therefore, it’s of paramount importance that images are applied in your business’ advertisement. Images also help people to retain the exact message that your business is trying to convey.
For some perspective, 65% of people remember what they see after a few days whereas only 10% remember what they have read. In a 2015 Buzzsumo study, it was discovered that images attached to a Facebook post resulted in twice the engagement of those without images.
A few more of its key benefits include:
* Cheaper production and implementation
* Helps create and reinforce a strong brand
* Does not need to hold the user’s attention for a long period
* Requires only a few minutes to take and post a snapshot
People are less likely to stop and click on an image compared to a video. Users are also not drawn in as much to photos, therefore this impacts customer engagement. Here are several challenges to keep in mind:
* Unable to perform on new and popular video-based platforms such as TikTok, Facebook Live and Instagram Reels
* Few opportunities for visual emphasis on key images
* Return on investment is lower
* Limited space to showcase your business’s products and services
* Less content can be explored
This allows you to explain what your business is promoting in much more detail and dimension. Photographs solely rely on sight, however, videos also appeal to our sense of hearing.
According to a Facebook study, only 24% of Facebook video ads could be understood without sound. Video content is also far more engaging compared to an image-based advertisement. 60% of marketers have found that videos easily draw more interaction.
Find out why else video content and engagement is the way to go:
* Hooks consumers much more easily
* Displays more product and service information in a short period
* Brand reputation can be incorporated to increase brand recognition
* Allows participation in the newest trends
* More possibilities to explore
Based on the evidence presented so far, video advertisement seems to have far more potential for engagement compared to an image-based advertisement. However, using videos comes with its own set of challenges as well.
Here are some of its considerable setbacks:
* Truly effective videos are significantly more time consuming to create
* Added production costs for content editing and professional hire
* Must capture the audience’s attention within the first 3 seconds to prevent skipping or scrolling
* Needs to capture the consumers’ attention for a longer period to completion
* Cramming in as much information as possible within a short duration
In conclusion, using videos in your advertisement strategies will easily increase user engagement over relying solely on images. However, a well-thought-out storyboard, script, and quality video and sound must come into play, to effectively achieve your desired results. But if you are on a tight schedule and budget, images will always remain a trusty and excellent alternative.